Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Top 5 Baits on Lake Mohave for 2013


As I prepare for my 2014 bassin, I want to discuss the top five baits that I caught most of my bass on in 2013. Now, this is from my own personal experience on this lake and I invite anyone wanting to put their two cents in to please do so and include their friends in on the conversation. 

 5. The 4" Senko.

Simple but effective

One of my favorite baits in any water. They really shine in the clear waters of Lake Mohave. You nearly have to do nothing with this bait and it will catch both Largemouth and Smallmouth. The best time I found for this little gem was right after the post spawn period. I would cast to where I thought the fish were and just let it sink. Thats it! After it hit the bottom I wouldn't twitch it for at least 3 minutes. I just waited for the tell tale tap tap that was a bass eating it up!

I usually rigged it texas style as that kept it from hooking on the rocks at the bottom. Sometimes I would wacky rig with an O-ring, but I would mostly use a 3/0 worm hook.

4. The Suspending Jerkbait

Rapala X-Rap
      
This bait was money on days when the wind was blowing or in general the fish weren't committing to anything we were throwing.  Twitch, Twitch, Twitch, Pause. The pause part was the key to getting hit. We would sometimes have to pause for up to three minutes before twitching the bait again. With me being totally A.D.H.D it was the hardest part, but it paid off. My favorite jerkbait was the Storm Twitch Stick. I thought it matched the size of the Threadfin Shad that are a prime target of bass in Lake Mohave. 

3.  Roboworm Drop Shot

Some Color Options
When the bass go deep in western lakes the drop shot is the go to rig for every angler on the river lakes.  We usually fished them vertically but had some success casting them and slowly dragging them back to the boat.  Pink was the best color, but we also used several other colors.  The straight tail was best for the vertical presentation and if we were dragging we'd use the curly tail version. 


2.  Tube Bait

A Small Mouth Favorite

Kind of a no brainer on the river lakes and any lake that has a great population of Smallmouth bass such as Lake Mohave, Lake Mead and Lake Havasu.  Using it on a tube jig and dragging the bottom was the best way to use a tube bait, but we also used it to pitch to rip rap and along bluff walls, in which case we would texas rig them.  Most colors would work, but red and green were my go to colors. 


1. Rapala Scatter Rap 

Evasive Action Is Awesome!
  
What an amazing bait!!!  This was my number one search bait through out the summer and fall.  The evasive action of this bait was magical!  I would watch a bass hit it and could see three or four of his buddies following it back to the boat with him.  Bluegill color was my favorite and I think the fish liked it too.  The best way to retrieve it was slowly then add a really quick turn or two to the reel just to make the fish react to its evasive action.  
I have always been a huge fan of Rapala and I think they nailed it with this lure!

Thanks for stopping by and reading!  I would love to hear from the readers of this blog about the baits they used throughout the year to catch bass on the our beautiful Colorado River Lakes.


  








No comments: