Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lake Mohave July 4th-5th After Action Report


This was the first weekend I was able to put together a double digits fish day on the water.  It was great weekend and several large fish were caught,  but many mistakes were made and more fish could have been boated.

Conditions: 
On day 1 the weather was overcast but still hot with the water temps in the mid seventies.  The water was gin clear.
Day 2 started out sunny but a storm passed through in the early afternoon which in my opinion my have turned on the bite.

Patterns Found:
Deep rocky structure and brush piles held fish so long as it was anywhere from 19' to 40' deep.  The fish would be in the shallow parts of the aforementioned depths early in the morning and late evening hours.  In the middle of the day the fish would go deep and at times they would even suspend.

Things I did right:
 I've become better at feeling the bottom of the lake and feeling bites, partly due to the medium light gear I've switched to with braided line and a fluorocarbon leader.
I've also gotten over my dislike of fishing deep.  Partly because I've gotten really good with a drop shot!
Last but not least I feel like I was able to pattern the bass really well.  That being said it wasn't hard to pattern them.  They were on rocky points and drop offs.

Things I did wrong:
I'll just start with suspended fish first.  I saw a good number of fish that were suspended on the graph and only tried to catch them once. Even when I'd have fish following my bait I wouldn't try to catch them.  I know no one is a fan of suspending fish but I could have at least tried to swim a grub.  I guess I did try a strike king swimmin caffeine shad.
I also didn't use search baits enough since I was really set on the drop shot.  I have in my arsenal a great deal of baits that would have worked great as search baits in deep water and just didn't employ them. 
I'll mention my hook sets only briefly because I started setting the hook much better around the evening of day one.  I lost quite a few fish due to poor hook sets.  I realized with medium light spinning tackle I'll need to really set the hook  hard.   When I made that correction I landed more fish.

Gear/Baits Used:
Rods I used were berkley lightning shock series, two medium heavy casting rods, one medium spinning and one medium light spinning rod.
Reels I used were a Daiwa Megaforce casting reel, an Abu Garcia Revo S3 casting reel, a Revo S3 spinning reel (on the medium rod) and an Abu Garcia Orra spinning reel (on the medium light). I put 12 pound spiderwire fluorocarbon on the Daiwa, 10 pound spiderwire fluorocarbon on the Revo casting reel, 6 pound spiderwire fluorocarbon on the Revo spinning reel, and on the Orra spinning I used spiderwire braid with 10 pound fluorocarbon leader.

Baits: (caught fish)
Missile Baits Fuse 4.4 in Green Beret, Luck "E" Strike 4" finesse worm in green pumpkin with red fleck and in a natural brown color, (the natural color only caught one fish), and Berkley Gulp Alive smelt colored minnow.  All used on a drop shot.



Overall it was a great weekend and I caught a lot of big fish!  I think next time I will try to fish Carolina rigs and some deep diving crank baits.

Great Weekend With My Wife & Brother


My Brother Isn't A Big Bass Angler

No comments: