Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Alamo Lake Arizona

My favorite lake to be on is Lake Mohave. My wife loves it, the dogs love it and the bass fishing is great. But what happens when the government shuts down? Obviously a giant lake in NV should shut down with it right? No It's a lake! Why wouldn't that be public land. Well, it shut down so my wife and I grabbed the dogs and headed for AZ. Alamo Lake specifically. We went two different weekends but there wasn't too much action so I am just going to write about both weekends in one post. We liked the camp grounds a lot but the feral burros everywhere were very loud and obnoxious. Also, they shit. Everywhere. The coyotes were everywhere too. We woke up one morning with one standing and howling right on the other side of our tent wall. It was frightening but at the same time, just a coyote. I was just thankful we didn't have the dogs tied up outside or something. They were also cool to see when we were on the water. Even though they were feral burros and coyotes, wildlife is always cool to see. There was also a tarantula in our campground which did not sit well with my wife. At all. That all being said, the campgrounds were very nice. They were very clean and the people camped near us were all very friendly. We were a ways from the water but it was alright. We had a lot of fun hiking up into the cactus forrest. 

The boys just not doing their part in setting up!
Camp is set-up!
Our shade in the desert.
The road by our camp site. Lots of cacti out there!
Feral Burros
Feral Burros
Little tarantula that found home in our shade. 
Once we got out onto the water we started doing some bassin! The bass bite was not as good as I was told it would be. The water was murky and I couldn't get a bite. Finally we threw in some worms on bobbers and started catching fish! No the ones I had hoped but fun none the less!

Catfish I caught!

Turtle my wife caught!
Crappie my wife caught!
Finally that bite died down a bit and we started bassing! I caught some good fish. Nothing too big but I was still proud and having a blast!

Large Mouth Bassin!

Pretty good size large mouth!
Another good bass!
I didn't catch as many as I probably could if I went back now but I didn't do too bad! I know Rogue had a blast!

Captain of the boat! 
Always so noble!
I think his favorite part though was sunbathing with my wife.

Soaking up the sun one ray at a time

Passed out!
At night camping we love going back to the campground and playing cards, listening to music and drinking highballs. It's a great way to come off the water.

A little game night with the family

They cheat, I know it.

Too tired to hang
Good luck!
One night we were out catfishing until just after the sun went down. We decided to go in and play some cards. It had been a long day. We packed everything up and just as we were leaving the wind started to pick up. It was pitch black and we were a ways away from the dock. We had a spot light but it wasn't doing much. We still couldn't see where we were going. The wind was so bad the waves were crashing over the sides and into the boat. Then the rain started! As if the spray of the muddy lake in our faces wasn't enough. Were soaked, cold and pretty much lost. We couldn't find the dock for the life of us. It was so dark outside and the dock didn't have any lights on it. We drove for awhile and then starting getting into the sunken trees.

Not so good for a propeller. 
Thank God we didn't bust the prop. We would not have a bass boat to this day had we. We got turned back around and out of the trees from there we were able to get to the dock. I went to get the truck and my wife stayed to hold the boat that was crashing into the dock at every wave. After I backed the truck down I hopped out to help guide the boat onto the trailer which seemed impossible with the waves. We got it on enough to where I could pull out and my wife could hold it straight. 
I ran back to the truck. The doors were all locked. Our little beagle had stepped on the lock button. I was so furious and ready to be done I was looking for a rock to crush the window. My wife saw this and quickly stopped me. I took over holding the boat and she ran over to the window and her pup saw her and came running over all excited like and stepped on the window and rolled it down. We finally got the boat out of the water and back to camp. The wind blew so hard all night I didn't think our camp would still be there when I woke up. 
The next day the wind was still blowing pretty bad. I was going to be stubborn though. I drove 4 hours to get there and I was going to do some more bassin! We put the trailer in the water and my wife asked if I had remembered to put the plug in as she always does. I had not. I grabbed the plug and ran into the water to the back of the boat. I was in about waist deep. I reached in and dropped the plug. Between the wind, the murky water and me stomping around there was no finding that plug. We pulled the boat back out quickly and she told me that was a sign. We headed home as God did not want us on the water that weekend he got his wish. 

All in all it was a good couple of trips there. My wife and I had fun. We always have adventures and at the end of it all we always laugh! 

I wouldn't give those weekends back for nothing!

Thanks for reading!

More feral asses
Feral Mules






No comments: