Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mystery Tacklebox Slam Attempt


What an absolutely insane weekend of chasing bass on Lake Mohave!  I was not a huge fan of dragging a lake bottom for hours on end until this weekend and now I'm a believer!  Football jigs, drop shots and Texas rigs caught so many big smallmouths this weekend I was in shock!  Let's get down to the nitty gritty of what the weekend was about and what it turned into.

Football Jigs

Drop Shot Rig
Texas Rig

     Since starting out as a Mystery Tacklebox member I was trying to find a creative way to actually start using the baits they sent me every month.  What I would do is open up the box as soon as it came in, call every bait in it "cool" or "neat," put the hard bait in my tackle box, place the soft baits in a designated Mystery Tacklebox ziploc, then forget em.  Not what the program is all about.

Mystery Tackle Box
They Are Awesome!
     Then one day I saw Gene Jensen from bassresource.com on the youtubes talking about the #mtbslam.  (mystery tacklebox slam). The slam is catching a fish on each piece of equipment or bait in the box.  What a cool idea, right?!  Watching him showed me what a challenge this could be.  So when I got this months box I was so excited, but then I opened up box to see a Koppers Livetarget Frog.  I fish Lake Mohave which is deep, gin clear and chalk full of smallmouth. The rest of this months box was perfect!  A drop shot worm from BioSpawn Baits called the plasma tail and to compliment this great little worm MTB sent a VMC drop shot hook (1/0) and a 1/4oz quick drop drop shot weights.  Other baits included the Skinny Bear Elite Football Jig in 3/4oz and a pack of Bruiser Baits Evil Twin, which is a twin tail grub which is an excellent trailer.  I slathered all the plastics I received in the Baitmate Live Gamefish attractant MTB sent with package and went fishing!
     My second cast of Friday evening was with the drop shot rig I set up from the package and after a few jiggles of the rod tip a decent smallmouth grabbed the worm and I was on!
     After that I dedicated the night to catching fish on the football jig.  Two smallmouths later I decided that the football jig does indeed work and I'd better figure out how to catch a fish on the evil twin.  So I Texas rigged it and slow dragged it just like the football jig.  I hooked one small bronzeback and decided to go back to the drop shot.  This is when I hooked the big bass of the weekend!  A toad of a largemouth!  After a solid fight on my medium light spinning gear we put a 5 pound bass in the boat!

     Day two I went back to my favorite baits, Missile Baits fuse 4.4 in green beret and watermelon red fleck.  I rig it on a drop shot with a VMC spinshot Ike approved wide gap hook 2/0.   I feel I have a better hook up percentage then if I nose hooked the bait and it keeps the bait pointed straight out better.  This one small decision in my drop shotting helped me kill em!  This is the part of the blog where I give a big shout to John Crews and Missile Baits!  I caught more bass on the fuse 4.4 and the twin turbo as a jig trailer on Saturday (day 2) then any other bait I've fished all year.  Maybe it's just a confidence thing but these baits have the perfect action!  The best part is the smallmouth on my lake absolutely rip them to shreds!  You'll see on the video the caliber of bronze backs landed on Saturday and how well these baits work.  Go to missilebaits.com and see them for yourself.

Missile Baits Are My Favorite!

Now just like I said in my last post an angler needs to find deep drops, ledges and the brush piles on Lake Mohave.  Typical clear water bass stuff.  This is where we talk about dragging the bottom of these structures with football jigs and drop shots.  I'm sure I could start using tubes to successfully to do the same thing I was doing with the football jigs but why not use baits I have confidence in?
     The other thing I've found super interesting on Lake Mohave is the bass are usually near the bluegill.  Any of the brush on the lake that hangs over the water that you can visibly see bluegill in usually means there is bass close in deeper water as long as it's a steep drop.


Tight Lines!



ROGUE GOING FISHING!







No comments: